When youíre planning to negotiate over 500 miles of open ocean you tend to keep a close eye on the weather and how itís going to affect your trip. We started calling Weather Routers a couple of days ago for a comprehensive analysis of the weather and sea conditions we could anticipate during our crossing. It became apparent that we had to accelerate our planned departure by three days to avoid a low pressure system that was diving towards the Yucatan from the Pacific Northwest. The north wind produced by the front would kick up monster waves in the Yucatan channel, the most treacherous part of our journey. This was something to avoid if all possible so we decided to fast track our voyage and beat the weather to Mexico.